Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a cast iron skillet sautee onion, carrot, and meat. Cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat and add the broth, tomato paste, and herbs. Simmer until the juices thicken, about 10 minutes, then add the peas.
- Meanwhile, bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt.
- Spread the potatoes over the meat mixture. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.