It’s chilly in the village. Perfect chili weather.
Yesterday, I let The Bestest Darndest Chili simmer on the stove all day while no less than a dozen neighborhood children frolicked in the fall-ish temperatures. Begging like wide eyed Oliver they twisted my arm to make mugs full of hot chocolate. I didn’t dare ruin the moment (for me or them!) by spilling the beans that temperatures will soar to 90 by the end of the week.
Speaking of beans. . . it’s cold and we are basking in it! Although today is a holiday, we’ve got a to-do list a mile long and no time for stove duty. Once again, the slow cooker comes to my rescue and Chipotle Chicken Chili will be ready to warm us up for supper.
Do you know about Morton & Bassett spices? I use the Mexican Blend almost daily. No joke. It’s my go to spice. If you don’t have a jar on hand, I’ve given you a substitution in the recipe, but you really should pick some up soon.Print
Chipotle Chicken Chili in the Slow Cooker
Warm up with a bowl of chili seasoned perfectly with the smokey flavor of chipotle chiles.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker, Dinner
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 bell peppers, mix of red, green or orange
- 2–3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (*use 2 chiles for a milder chili)
- 1 tablespoon Morton & Bassett Mexican Blend Spice*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 oz) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen corn
- 4–6 corn tortillas, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a skillet. Brown chicken on all sides. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add onions and bell peppers. Sauté until softened. Add the garlic, chiles, and spices. Add the seasoned, sautéd vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, beans, corn, and tortillas to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the chili is thick. With the tongs of two forks, gently shred the chicken in the slow cooker and stir until well combined.
- Serve with sliced avocados, cheese and cilantro.
*I love Morton & Bassett Mexican Blend spice and use it almost daily. If you do not have a jar on hand, for this recipe substitute 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
I hope one of these chili recipes warms you up this week. Enjoy!