Beef & Guinness Stew in the Slow Cooker
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1″ cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large potatoes, cut in 1″ cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled, cut in bite-size cubes
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups Guinness
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Place the flour in a Ziploc bag. Add the beef and shake to coat, making sure each piece is covered in flour.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or large sauté pan) over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Brown the beef on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain.
- Place the beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, and thyme in the slow cooker. Pour the Guinness over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Season with salt and pepper.