Who can resist Mac & Cheese?
When Moriah from North Carolina sent us this idea, the Turquoise Table Team collectively swooned and knew we had to share. Moriah shared her recipe for her foolproof mac ‘n’ cheese bar, and here’s what we love about it: with this setup, each guest can truly customize their bowls to their heart’s content. And your gluten-free friends will hug your neck, since you can make this cheese sauce without a flour roux and easily serve them GF noodles.
How to host a Mac & Cheese Bar:
- Make Moriah’s Mac & Cheese dish
- Set out toppings galore! Your choice, but please include bacon. 😍
- Invite your neighbors to stop by for a quick and easy dinner. If you expect a crowd, have guests bring their favorite Mac & Cheese dish, too!
Moriah’s Mac & Cheese Bar Recipe
What’s better than mac & cheese? A mac & cheese bar! Make mac & cheese magic by letting your friends and neighbors add all their favorite toppings.
- 1 (16 oz.) box macaroni elbows
- 1 (16 oz.) box gluten-free macaroni elbows
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded cheese (Moriah uses a mix of fontina and sharp cheddar)
- Topping Ideas
- Green onions
- Roasted Brussels sprouts and garlic
- Caramelized onions
- Crushed Cheez-Its
- Grated Parmesan
- Hot sauce
- Truffle oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions, and drain. Set pasta aside while you make the sauce.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cornstarch and salt. Cook for one minute, whisking constantly.
- Add milk, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
- Add cheese and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Ladle sauce over prepared pasta, and stir to combine.
- Serve with a choice of toppings.