I’m interrupting my road map stories My Life is Gospel with breaking news.
In exactly two days, I will be headed to The Relevant ’11 Conference in Hershey, PA. I’ve been looking forward to attending this blogging conference for two years. I chickened out last year and regretted not attending. So when tickets went on sale at midnight on March 1st last spring, I clicked “REGISTER” and by 12:01 AM was ready to go.
My blogging friends Brooke and Erin are hosting a fun pre-party link-up. I’m joining in on the fun by sharing 10 things my Relevant roommates should know about me. I have two roommates – my sweet friend Erin, of Closing Time, and Logan of Life for Dessert. Erin is the talented web designer who brought The Schell Cafe and Kitchen Mission to life last year. We’ve been friends ever since. Erin and Logan are IRL (in real life) buddies and I’m grateful they are adding me to the mix. Can you imagine my delight to know Logan, too? How can you not love someone who writes a blog called Life for Dessert. Seriously?
I have never met either of my roommates, which according to the Littles is weird. I reassured my four weirded-out offspring it was like camp and reminded them that they don’t always know their bunkmates. Their response? “Face it, mom, you don’t know anyone.”
So this morning I put the question out to the Littles, “OK. If y’all are so weirded out that I don’t know my roommates, what should I tell them about me?”
“Come on guys, what should Erin and Logan know about me before Thursday?”
First response? Not so encouraging. “Mom, you are a little embarrassing.”
I am shocked. “Embarrassing? Really? Like how?”
“Well, you know how you sing in the car? It’s really embarrassing.”
“I thought you liked my music. Sometimes I listen to Taylor Swift.”
“Taylor Swift rocks. But, mom, you just can’t sing along with her. Especially in carpool.”
Dear roomies, here is the list of things you should know about me straight out of the mouths of my four precious Littles:
1) I am embarrassing. Especially when I sing in the car or the ‘worstest song ever’ Midnight Train to Georgia.
2) I like to make kids clean. Clearly they view picking up their rooms and loading the dishwasher as pure torture. Please do not hold it against me.
3) I don’t watch TV. This fact astonishes the Littles and propels me further into weirddom. But, we all know a screen is a screen and clearly I have an obsession with my iPhone and laptop.
4) I am not a good bike rider. Pure truth.
5) I’m getting grey in my hair. On a positive note, they were quick to recognize that I do have someone that helps me with that problem.
At this point I interjected and asked if there was anything, ANYTHING, positive they would like my roomies to know about me. ME, their mother. I reminded them that airfare, tickets and room reservations were non-refundable and that we might want to give Erin and Logan a slight bit of hope.
6) I love Jesus. Finally! My four Littles see something good in me. But, my dear roommies already know this about me. So, I prod for more.
7) I am a good cook. They all nod in agreement and Littlest says, “Yes, Mommy, you are a good cheffy.” Which rhymes with Chevy and every time I hear her call me cheffy I can’t help but laugh at the near comparison to a truck.
8 I want to adopt children from Africa. My sweet Littles DO listen. I recently re-told them the entire story of Kisses from Katie and they held on to every word of the story.
9) I am a good comforter.
10) I like to go to bed early.
There you have it, friends. Straight out of the mouths of my babes. I will try my hardest not to embarrass you this weekend, but I cannot promise that I won’t be forced to break into my best Gladys Knight rendition of Midnight Train to Georgia.
I can’t wait to meet you and everyone else at Relevant ’11 on Thursday!