I’ve been somewhat of a slacker in the kitchen lately. Piddling here and there, creating small bites, but lacking in the full meal department. Husband notices these things.
It’s summer, I justify in my mind. I donwannacook. Ever feel that way?
Lucky for me, and triple lucky for Husband our CSA basket arrived yesterday with the most gorgeous burst of colorful produce straight from Tecolote Farm. Purple potatoes, crispy green beans, golden carrots, beets… a garden rainbow. Just the inspiration I needed.
Littlest and I got busy snapping the ends of the green beans and peeling purple potatoes. Ten minutes later the skillet was sizzling with bacon begging the garden fresh goodness to join. The classic southern combination of green beans and potatoes is so simple and satisfying.
Littlest is actually stirring the beans in the picture. . . and I spy a tiny bite of potato cooling to just the right temperature for my petit sous chef. Truthfully, I’m surprised she didn’t pull out the purple potato.Print
Southern Green Beans & Potatoes with Bacon
Garden fresh veggies never tasted so good – a simple and satisfying dish of green beans and potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 6 pieces of bacon, chopped and fried until crispy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 – 2 lbs green beans (I didn’t measure!)
- 6–8 small potatoes, diced – purple, new, red (whatever variety you wish)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Fry the bacon in a large, lidded skillet. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel. Reserve about a tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Add butter and melt over medium heat. Add onions to butter and bacon grease. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, green beans, potatoes, half of the bacon pieces, and chicken broth. Cook covered over low heat until the potatoes and green beans are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in apple cider vinegar. Top with remaining bacon and serve.